28 February 2013

Running for BOD and Southwest Modernism

Ok, we are 4 days into the campaign and things are getting NASTY!  The old man (CF) has decided he doesn't have to follow the rules set down by election committee because I think he can't remember them.  So far he has published a campaign flyer with the logo of Harbour Square in a prominent position and posted on the community bulletin board.  He has also publicly admonished me for "electioneering" at the gatehouse...which is not against the rules.

The election committee has been decimated because the only non-board member has resigned saying that her job finished after the candidates' forum.  The candidates forum went fairly well.  Although there were 10 candidates, everyone got their say.  The moderator kept statements to 3 minutes and questions and answers were kept to one minute each. Most questions were for all the panelists so there was a pass the microphone down the line kind of procedure   There was also a groundswell of hope for community involvement and openness of governance that were 2 of my main planks.  The 3 standing board members had their feet held to the fire more than once.  Only once was really wrong information given to the public by a panel member. He was corrected in due course by both audience and other panelists. (Guess who?)

Tonight we have our informal "meet and greet" where alcohol meets politics   I hate this part.  Although I probably do better at this kind of thing where I can respond to inquiries instead of get up and sell myself, the personal interaction is painful for me.  I always feel so awkward and silly looking.  What do I do with my hands? Should I drink beer or wine?  Will my blood sugar plummet and make me stupid? What if no one wants to talk to me? My back is hurting and I have to stand all night, will I be able to keep a smile on my face? How do I correct the other guy's lies without making him look like a fool?

I just want to make this a better place to live  I want to make sure that the management is doing its job.  I want to make sure that the board is organized and professional and responsive to the community. I want to give everyone who wants to volunteer a chance to contribute. Is that naive?

Harbour Square was granted Historic Status today by the DC Historic Preservation Review Board.  In their comments, they stated they would like to establish Southwest Modernist District. After hearing a lecture on Tuesday evening by speakers Richard Longstreth, of George Washington University, and Todd Ray, of Studio Twenty Seven Architecture, I feel the significance of our neighborhood deserves that designation.
Did you know this was the first planned integrated housing in the United States? Beyond that the areas of openness combined with mixed high-rise and low-rise buildings make it unique. It was a major laboratory of modern architecture and landscape design in the 1960's.  According to Longstreth Southwest is the "fullest and richest manifestation of modernist design in the world." The only other intact area left is Lafayette Park in Detroit. Unfortunately, not everyone at Harbour Square agrees and that is going to be the next big fight.....Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment